“For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.”

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Be Safe!



Doesn't it seem as though we mothers are preoccupied with safety? When it comes to our children, safety, health and happiness rate very highly.

Most of our admonitions are exclamations such as "Be careful!", "Watch out!", "Slow down!"
I believe that God put that protective concern in the heart of parents, especially mothers, for a good reason. We tend to think of parents who don't teach or look after their children's safety as being neglectful.  I am one of those mothers who is prone to think of every possible bad thing that could happen in any given circumstance, and takes measures to preclude it. I don't remember if my mother was this way, or not.  Where I was exposed to the endless lists of precautions, I have no idea. But, I know them all, and teach them diligently. I don't think of it as irrational fear or excessive worry...just...well, just doing my job to protect my loved ones from harm, whether it be physical or emotional.  And then, I hear of one life lost in an accident, a mishap, a moment of distraction; and I am ever more determined never to allow that to happen to my child, if it is in my power to prevent it.


But, if I am honest, I know that it isn't always in my power. "Bad" things happen. Pain happens. Illness happens. Lives are hurt. Lives are lost. 
Even after our best efforts to protect.
As I pondered all of the above, with specific concerns innumerated, I thought of this hymn:

"Safe in the arms of Jesus, Safe on His gentle breast, There by His love o'er-shadowed, Sweetly my soul shall rest."

How important it is to prepare our children for that haven of rest!  That is the only, the eternal place of safety.  All of us will go down the valley, one by one...some after long lives with few incidents, some "cut down" in their youth...but, eventually, all will succumb to death, one way or another. My Mama-heart cannot protect forever; but I know the One Who does!  I am reminding myself today of the most important rule of safety: John 3:16 
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

It is my God-given responsibility to teach my children not to run with scissors in their hands, not to cross the street without looking both ways, not to take candy from strangers, etc., etc.
But, more than that, it is my privilege to introduce them to the Savior of their souls.

"For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock." 
Psalm 27:5

1 comment:

  1. well said! I think we were cut from the same mother material :)

    ReplyDelete