“For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.”

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Make It Count

I must be "over the hill", because I think I'm finally beginning to understand what that really means. 

From the top of this "hill" I can see what really matters: what matters to God, what matters to humanity, what matters to me.

Like a truly "old" person, I find myself shaking my head in disapproval at the ways folks use their time and energy. The things and pursuits which our culture of "self-love" exalts as "all-important" and worth striving for seem to me to be such a waste...so empty and unsatisfying in the long run.

I'm judging myself here. I wish I could reclaim those hours "wasted" in my youth, sunning myself on the beach, or feeling sorry for myself, or sleeping when I could have been serving.

If I could recapture that lost time, I would inquire at the feet of my elders, hear their stories, assimilate the lessons they learned from failures and victories. But, Granddaddy's gone; as are  great Auntie Margie, Aunt Dee Dee, Uncle Ernie, mother, father. I can speak with them no more.





If I knew then what I am just beginning to know now, I would have read more, written more, thought more, communicated more. And, created more.

That last one: create...that's the one that has me pondering so. I've come to a place in my life where creating and sharing feels incredibly vital; but, I hardly have life left enough to do all that is in my heart to do. I am almost overwhelmed with how many lifetimes I would need to be all that I want to be. Already my strength is failing me. It takes longer to do menial tasks than it used to, leaving less time for creative pursuits. Granted, I have participated in "creating" eight more human beings. That counts, in a big way. No regrets there! :-)

What's the point of this little blurb? I'm not sure, other than to encourage those that are still young enough to "make it count". Consider how you use your time and energy and talents. When we are young, it seems as though time is at a standstill. In fact, we spend much of our youth wishing time would hurry up. Suddenly, you will crest that "hill", and begin to race down the other side.

I exhort you:

"Whereas you know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away." 
(James 4:14)

"You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath."  
(Psalm 39:5)

 "Man is like a breath; his days are like a fleeting shadow."  
(Psalm 144:4)

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth." 
(Proverbs 27:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment